Wednesday, April 10, 2013

An Experience I'll Never Forget !!

I am so thankful to God that I have had the opportunity on multiple occasions to experience foreign missions trips. During the summer of 2010 I had the privilege of spending 5 weeks in the Dominican Republic. This was probably my 10th time there but my 1st time without my family and for longer than a week. I have gone every Easter with Mountain View Christian Academy and while I was there in April 2010 I really felt God calling me to be a missionary so I changed my major at Hope International University to Inter-Cultural Studies.

I have been able to teach English at a Christian school, play basketball with Dominicans on the street for witnessing opportunities, work to prepare the local Christian camp for mission teams and events, build churches and houses, conduct vacation Bible schools and women’s Bible studies, help feed the kids at nutritional centers, work with the peace corp to help a village get clean and fresh water, teach the plan of salvation to the children through witness bracelets, and work with the local churches. It has definitely been a life-changing experience.

There is this one man that really touched my life. He lives in a shack. He doesn’t even have a bathroom or a kitchen all he has is a bed, his Bible, and like 3 changes of clothes. Every time it rains his roof leaks and when the wind blows hard the walls of his house shake and yet he is the sweetest, nicest man that I have ever met in my whole entire life and he has absolutely nothing. Every time he sees me he says God bless you. So we bought beams and fixed his shack to make it sturdier, we repaired his roof so he wouldn’t get wet and fixed his walls to make them stronger. 

I have gained so much appreciation for the little things in life. There are so many things that we take for granted. The Dominicans are so happy to get a piece of candy or a happy meal toy from McDonald’s or just to color a picture. Small things that don’t mean anything to us mean the world to them. 

They are also so hungry for the Gospel and appreciative of anything done for them. It makes me want to share the love of Jesus with them. In Revelation 7:9 it talks about how in heaven there will be people from every nation, every tribe, and every language. I want to be a part of helping people from other nations that don’t have the same opportunities that we have in America to hear the gospel. 

Please pray for me as I seek God’s will and direction for my life. Regardless if you feel that the Lord is calling you to full-time missions. Every Christian can be a part by being a prayer warrior for missionaries, financially supporting a work, or by participating in a short term mission’s trip. Luke 10:2 says, “He told them, ‘the harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest therefore to send out workers into his harvest field.” Thank you. I greatly appreciate all your prayers, encouragement, love, and support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment