Friday, June 7, 2013

Blessed !!

Wow! What a whirlwind 18 months it has been for me working with with G.O. Ministries and Centro Cristiano Mission in the Dominican Republic! I have totally learned that I have to rely on Him and not on my own power. I have never felt weaker than when I was trying to learn another language and build relationships in a country that was completely new to me. I also have never seen God’s power at work more than in those times of my weakness; He has shown Himself faithful!

As a part of my Intercultural Studies degree from Hope International University, I was required to spend 8 months in a different culture to culminate the experience of all I learned in my classes. I am so thankful for this opportunity. It has changed my life forever. God has shaped me and grown me in so many ways. I, like most Americans, have grown up with all the luxuries of life. I have been so humbled to see how content the Dominican people are with so little. I have come to realize that perhaps the less we have around us, the easier it is to be close to God himself. I have felt unworthy to have been loved so much by the Dominicans. They are such a caring, giving, expressive people. One of my fervent prayers has been, “Father, as I serve you in the Dominican Republic, help me to love people the way that you want them to be loved; help me to show them your love through my actions. Help me not to seek the notice of other people in the things that I do. Help me be willing to do the tasks that seem small and unimportant. I want to serve the Dominicans not in my name, but in your name. Give me a deeper love and compassion for those who do not know you.”

Without a doubt I feel I have been blessed way more than I have blessed others, but if I have made an impact in some small way,  I am forever grateful to have been used by God to bless these wonderful people.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment